Wednesday, April 16, 2014

DIY Painted Picture Frames

I've been working diligently on a gallery wall for my entryway and wanted to add a few fun pops of color to some plain frames I already had.  Here's a quick post on my new fun frames. 

Spray-painted IKEA aluminum RIBBA frames
I used Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Spray Paint in Lagoon. I sprayed 2 coats, and when the frames were completely dry I sprayed 1 more coat because I noticed some spots I missed.  Total cost was $3.27 for the spray paint, and I still have plenty of spray leftover.
























Painted Moroccan Quatrefoil frame:
I bought this frame from Home Goods over a year ago for <$10.  I wanted the pattern to stand out more so I painted the inside of the pattern using the leftover paint from my Adirondack chair adventures (Behr Premium Plus Exterior Satin Enamel in Bling Bling).



I used 2 different-sized craft paint brushes, a medium flat brush for coverage and a small pointy brush for edges and corners.  It ook me about 20 minutes to complete.

"Love" fabric frame
On one of my IKEA trips, as I was attempting to haul some awkwardly heavy furniture into my trunk by my lonesome, I broke the glass on one of the picture frames I was planning to use for the gallery wall.  I was bummed but decided I'd use it as an opportunity to try something a little different.  Instead of putting a picture in the frame I went for something with added dimension and texture.

I found the wooden "Love" script and key from Michael's for $1/ea.  I painted the script yellow and used some leftover Rust-Oleum Universal Metallic Satin Oil Rubbed Bronze Spray Paint I had laying around for the key.  For the background I used leftover fabric I had from the backdrop I added to my IKEA bookshelf (future post).  I used tacky glue (hot glue gun would work as well) to first adhere the "Love" and key to the fabric and then I glued the fabric to the back of the picture mat (I attached it to the back of the mat in case I ever wanted to remove the fabric and use the mat again).

Here's the finished product, hanging happily on my wall, and Barley patiently waiting for me to stop crafting and start playing. :-)

Can't wait to share my finished gallery wall with you next here!

No comments:

Post a Comment