Monday, May 5, 2014

Gallery Wall for Entryway

Ever since I moved into my new home I've been OBSESSING over creating a gallery wall.  Can't even tell you how many nights I stayed up 'til 2AM pinning every possible version of a gallery wall you can imagine.  I also went through many iterations of the final layout as I arranged and rearranged the pieces on my floor, a sort of gallery wall game of Tetris.  Here's a look at the finished product, with inspiration and build details after the jump!



I finally had a very perfectly boring wall of a blank canvas for my new gallery wall.  After all my Pinterest research I was sure about 2 things: 1) I wanted to incorporate lanterns in my gallery wall, and 2) I wanted to feature a color scheme.
 
      Before: Wall of Boring-ness                                                After: Adding a little color to my life

{Lanterns}
I found the lanterns for $20/ea at my favorite store... TJMaxx/HomeGoods.  Check out the awesome selection they had!  

I've also seen various lanterns sold at Hobby Lobby and Home Depot.  The ones I purchased were larger than the normal size you usually see, and I was a little worried at first that they'd be too bulky but it worked well in the end since my wall was wide and I was able to space them out.

To hang them I used decorative shelf brackets from Home Depot.  Jeff helped me saw off about an inch of metal that would have hung over the top curve.  I think this helped to make it look a little bit less like a shelf bracket.  I also spray-painted the brackets all over with a clear matte spray paint to tone down the glossiness of the metal so it would match the black metal on the lantern better.
  
Because these over-sized lanterns were pretty heavy, I hung them on studs first and then arranged the rest of my frames to fit the space in between. 


{Color Scheme}
Several posts I read recommended picking 2-3 colors to create a unifying theme.  I went with teal (surprise!) and yellow.  I would definitely recommend using paint or spray paint to achieve the color scheme you want instead of buying new frames.  You can can read about my DIY painted frames here.  I also used patterned paper that I got a while back from Sam Flax to fill my small square frames and add more yellow.

 

{Focal Point}
I wanted the biggest frame and focal point of my wall to be something I loved looking at every day.  I finally found this Cherry Blossom Tree Grove photograph from Jennifer DiGuglielmo on Etsy and fell in love immediately.  Her other work is also phenomenal.  She also let me order the photograph in a different size that wasn't listed online.

{Pin-spiration}
Here are some of my favorite gallery walls on Pinterest that inspired me.

My next project will be to make a reclaimed wood-style bench that will sit underneath the gallery wall.  I already ordered the hairpin legs and am super excited to start!


No comments:

Post a Comment